When we talk about brand, product or website promotion on Facebook, we face a challenging choice between the Facebook Fan Page and the Group. Which one will prove the most effective and will fit our needs best? This question has been asked in various online communities, discussed on numerous forums and explored in thousands of articles. We decided to contribute to the research of this matter, because despite the great number of read articles, it is important to analyze all the information and choose the most the best way tp be represented on Facebook.
So what is so special about Groups and Fan Pages? What is the difference between them and why are Fan Pages persistently superseding Groups in marketing and advertising department? Let’s take a look at the main features and disadvantages of Facebook Fan Pages and Groups.
Groups create a closed environment for the communication within a limited number of people sharing the same interests. Groups can be created by anyone.
- Information and publications of the Facebook Fan Page are usually open and available to all Facebook users, excluding those who don’t match selected audience options (age and location);
- Any user can like the Page, thus subscribing to it, and get regular updates in the newsfeed. Number of users who can “like” the Page is unlimited. Users that get blocked, can still like and share the posts of this page. Deleted users will not be able to receive the updates from your page.
- Users that manage the page can share their Page’s posts. Such posts will appear in the newsfeeds of people who liked the Page. But the same as with the Groups, due to the limitation of posts in the news feed, not all of the information will reach the fans.
- Owners of the page can also add apps (events with tickets sale on various resources including external ones, event import, calendar, notes, contests, Twitter) on Pages and check the Page statistics (only with 30 page likes or more) to track growth and activity of the Page. Bookmark management is available right under the cover of the Page.
- Events can be imported.
- Increased trust to the brand’s Page, attraction of target audience
- Option to comment as a Page
- Option to customize URL of the Facebook Fan Page
- The name can be changed only once.
- Advertising options for a Page, posts and website.
- 5 roles are available on the Page: Administrator, Editor, Moderator, Advertiser, Analyst. There is no limit to the number of users who can have a role on a Page. All roles and setting are managed by an admin.
- Option to ban users from posting on a timeline
- Option to check posts before their publication by creating drafts. Post can also be hidden from timeline and posted anytime again.
- Option to pin posts to the top of the timeline.
- Google index works better with Pages than with Groups.
- Administrator can send messages to all the Page followers. Page can receive message from followers, but this option can be cancelled in Page settings.
- Profanity filter is available, as well as the option to block separate words.
- Pages of public figures, bands, artists, brands and products can be tagged on photos. A page can tag only the pages they “like”.
- Page removal (Settings – General – Remove Page) is available to Page admin only.
- Option to add a user (who is not a Page admin) to manage previously created ads in Manage Adverts – Settings.
- Activity log with an option to change the status of the created posts
- Users can post recommended changes.
- Documents can’t be added to a Page.
- Option to add photos, videos, playlists, links to external resources, events and milestones.
- Access to a Group can be limited with the adjustment of confidentiality settings. Only Group members can see posts in Secret and Closed Groups.
- Group privacy settings can be adjusted so that all group members approved and added by the admins. As the group reaches certain membership size, some options become limited. The most effective groups are the ones created specifically for a small number of the people you know.
- By default group members receive notifications, when any group member posts something in it. Group members can participate in Facebook chat, upload pictures to shared albums, work together on the group documents and invite their Facebook friends to group events.
- Almost all the changes can be seen on the timeline. Friends of the friends will be able to see user’s activity in the group.
- Commenting by the group is available only in the group.
- Group’s URL cannot be changed.
- Name can be changed only in the groups with 250 members or less
- Applications cannot be added to the group
- The options for brand promotion are minimal
- Admin is the only role available
- Posts can be pinned to the top of the timeline
- Notifications about updates in the group can be turned off as well as the news from the group. Therefore members can simply forget that the group exists.
- Activity log in unavailable
- Group admin can create a chat for group members. option to send notifications is available only in the groups with up to 250 members
- Number of tabs is limited, but there is an option to add documents (shared with the members) and ask questions
Therefore, it is more effective to use Facebook Fan Page for marketing (it was, after all, created for these purposes), add various tabs to increase the function of the Page and attract more target
Group is great for discussion of your brand, product or goods by those who enjoy your production (brand, product, service, etc.).
Note that Facebook never stalls and constantly changes the conditions of advertising campaigns, adds new options to get the best results possible. So, keep up with the updates and stay in the running, while we’ll try to help you do that.
If you have any questions or suggestions, leave a comment under the post.